Thursday, October 20, 2011

Spinning Halloween

So Jen has asked for Halloween themed spins this week.  In looking back through my archives, I did one of these last year which you can see here--Halloween Hits.  So that means I get to go a different direction for this Spin.
Halloween has always been a fun time--trick or treating, parties, get togethers.  I have enjoyed the fun and just a bit creepy side of Halloween.
I'm not a great one for scary movies.  Once, in the very tiny first apartment Nick and I shared, he had some friends over and they brought a scary movie--The Candyman I think--and I knew I would not, could not watch it.  I didn't have a lot of choices so I sat and read a book in the bathroom.  Nick didn't do any more scary movies after that--I think he felt just a bit bad about my hiding sitting in the bathroom.
So if we don't do scary movies, what do we watch for Halloween?  Well, there are some great creepy movies out there that keep things light and funny but just a bit creepy/scary without the blood and gore.  We enjoy watching:
  • Young Frankenstein, 
  • Ghostbusters, 
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas, 
  • Hocus Pocus, 
  • Abbot and Costello meet the Mummy, 
  • the Mummy (with Brendan Fraser), 
  • Jurassic Park
  • any Scooby Doo
We do have to be careful and not watch anything with Zombies.  Turbo still doesn't do well with Zombies.  This year we will be carving pumpkins and doing various activities around town for the boys. Turbo and Nick are thinking bout creating a haunted house in the garage for Halloween.  It will be fun and interesting to see what they come up with--I foresee a trip to the dollar store for props.
So what are your plans this year for Halloween--what do you do for the season--what movies do you watch and can you stand the really scary ones?

small cycle

6 comments:

  1. I've never been a big Halloween person. Never seen the appeal, I always dressed up as a football player as a kid! The only reason I dressed up as that, is if all the boys in our "football club" in elementary school dressed like that, we were allowed to play tackle instead of touch, so it was worth it. This year, I'll take my kids out to get the candy, and that's about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are two types of Halloween movies that are different to me: the slasher and the thriller. I'm not much into blood and guts, so I typically avoid slasher films. Thriller films usually have those moments where you are scared unexpectedly, or even have the plot progress to the point where you are skiddish about everything.

    Great Spin,

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are actually considering going old school and go knocking on doors this year

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm not much for Halloween either. We do however, occasionally watch scary movies but it's funny because hubby is the one who gets scared and watches between his fingers that are covering his eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Hocus Pocus. That was our go to Halloween movie while my kids were growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't do scary either. One time in high school I told myself that I could go through a haunted house because my hubs (my boyfriend back then) loves I mean LOOOVES anything scary. We got there & in the parking lot I had a complete panic attack. I felt horrible that we couldn't go in. Oops. Now-a-days he just goes with my little sister, she loves that kind of stuff. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! They make my heart go pitter-pat! Go on comment--I'll do my best to go give your blog some love too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails