Friday, June 1, 2012

Take Me Back

Have you ever been listening to the radio and that one certian song comes on and instantly you can see adn smell and feel the exact time and place you first heard it?  Or a song reminds you of someone?  Or something?  Everyone has those songs.  I know I do.
The Travis Tritt song T*R*O*U*B*L*E always reminds me of my friend Stacy and a certain graduation weekend with a sax serenade.
Alan Jackson's song Chattahoohee takes me back to being 18 and having fun for a summer, but then the Kid Rock song All Summer Long does the same thing.
Any of the hair bands of the late 80s take me right back to high school.  Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Poison, Alice Cooper, Metallica, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, I hear any of the songs they had in the 80s and I can be right back where I first hear them--17 and carefree.
They Might Be Giants had an album out in 1993 called Flood.  Nick introduced me to it and now when I hear any song from that album--Particle Man, Blue Canary in the Outlet, and so many others--and I'm 19 and in love again.
Savage Garden's Truly Madly Deeply takes me back to my wedding as it was a big song then.  You're Still the One by Shania Twain also reminds me of our wedding.  We didn't do a dance, there just wasn't room in the budget to do dancing at the reception, but I consider those songs our songs.  And hearing them takes me right back to a warm August afternoon.
More recently, while on field camp the song by Billy Currington, Good Directions was played so often that now when I hear it I got right back to a slightly smelly suburban after a two week stint camping.
Yeah, songs sure can evoke memories.  Amazing what a few words and a bit of music can do.
What songs take you back?


8 comments:

  1. OMG! That was years ago... :) There's a Kenny Chesney song about this kind of thing - I Go Back http://youtu.be/MdeSLxz5TTE You'll see! TGIF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...my mind is drawing a complete blank, which is so unlike me b/c there are so many songs that remind me of college, high school, growing up...dang. Now I have to think about this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love playing that game - certain songs really do just stop you in your tracks and take you back.
    Long Time Running by the Tragically Hip
    Semi-Charmed Life by Three Doors Down
    Free Fallin' by Tom Petty
    Forever and Ever Amen by Randy Travis
    They all transport me back in time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops - not Three Doors Down, Third Eye Blind!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of those bring back memories for me too! It's weird how they do that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true!

    Every time I hear "Here I go again" by Whitesnake I remember the boy I was madly in love who was obsessed with that song. It was 7th grade. He so wasn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am the same way. I love music. It is crazy how some songs remind you of times, people, places. I like it. Most of the time they are good memories...or at least old ones that were good at the time. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! They make my heart go pitter-pat! Go on comment--I'll do my best to go give your blog some love too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails