Thursday, June 7, 2012

Spin Cycle--You Gotta Have Friends

The Spin Cycle topic this week is Friends.  The Ethel to your Lucy, you partner in crime and shopping, the one you turn to when it all comes crashing down, or the person you tell your triumphs too.
This one is tough for me.  I don't make friends easily.  It doesn't help that people turn over here every 4-5 years.  Living in a college town is complicated.  No one stays around here long.
Some of you out there have lots of friends, but I only ever really had one or two at a time.  Right now I don't really have a wildly close friend.  I have friends, but not that one who you can call at any time and know she'll be there.
I have hope that I will find one one of these days.  Meanwhile I have some great friends that I connect to on line.  The best one is an old friend who has moved away.  Stacy is one of those people that things just clicked between us when we first started hanging out.  We now keep in touch by Facebook, email, blog and phone calls.  Since she's in Alaska, getting together is complicated.  But we make the most of the time we get.  Thank goodness for Facebook.
I hate to be cliche, but Nick is someone who I consider my best friend.  I tell him almost anything.  He not so good with the girly stuff, but otherwise he does pretty good..  He listens and sympathizes with me when I get all bothered by the fact that I don't have a lot of girl friends.  I think that is one reason why he thinks my blogging is so cool.  He sees how much connection it gives me.
Blogging was a life saver after I had Bruiser.   It gave me a connection and an outlet and showed me that while distance separates me from a lot of people, there are a lot of people out there who are just like me.  I've made some amazing friends.  It's that alone that keeps me coming back to post all week.  Waiting to see what my friends are talking about and waiting to see what they think of what I have to say.
One of these days I'll get to meet some of the ladies I "know" from blogging: Gretchen, Impulsive Addict, Mimi, Mamarazzi, Shawn, Jen (From Sprite's Keeper),  Jill, Nain, Stacy... oh so many great ladies.
So now go see Gretchen, she of the Spin Cycle directing.  She will have other friends spins.  Go check them out.

Second Blooming

8 comments:

  1. I completely understand the only having 1 or 2 close friends and living far enough away that you don't get to see them. Blogging and meeting blog friends has been a lifesaver for many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I'm glad I've connected with you too! And it's not cheesy at all that Nick is your best friend. I consider To to be mine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i get the online friend thing to I do't have any real life friends but i have several online friends who i consider family and who knows one day we may meet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree about the amazing phenomenon of blogger friends! I genuinely feel that I have friends (YOU!) across the nation. It's also interesting that when I have met fellow bloggers, they were just exactly like I thought they would be! I guess we all really reveal ourselves in our blogs. Thank you for being my friend! (and for putting up with me sending you constant Castleville requests!!!)

    You are linked!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before I started blogging I had like 1 friend, now I have many online. :)
    And I have a couple IRL friends, but not too many. I've never had a lot of friends at once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I moved away from one of my best friends, so it's harder to get together, but when we do it's like we just saw each other yesterday! I would love to meet some of my blogging friends some day, too. How fun would that be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yet another thing we have in common, Vandy! And your list of bloggy friends you'd like to meet someday are the same ones I'm jonesin' to meet. We would have such a wicked good time! And I echo Michelle's sentiment - blogging has been a lifesaver for many of us. :)


    Spinning Up Some Friendly Friendships

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen to husbands as best friends and meeting blog friends. You are on my bucket list! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! They make my heart go pitter-pat! Go on comment--I'll do my best to go give your blog some love too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails