Wednesday, September 14, 2011

WWTK--Road Trip!

Photobucket

So it time to do We Want To Know again with Mamarazzi and Queso.  It is Wednesday after all.  This week the questions come courtesy of Mamarazzi:
  1. What are 3 must haves for a long road trip?  Well this depends on whether the boys are coming with us.  If it's just Nick and I, we need to have music, a book to read, and drinks and snacks.  With the boys, a book to read aloud that we can all hear (Harry Potter is the go to choice right now), the DVD player and a selection of movies, road games, and the ever necessary food and drinks.  I think that's four but really, try traveling with two small boys with less.
  2. What was the destination of your most recent road trip?  Define road trip.  The most recent short one took us to a lake to camp--a trip of about 2.5 hours.  The most recent long one took us over 5 hours from home to go camping with friends over the Fourth.  And the amazing thing was we never left our home state for either trip.
  3. What do you miss most about home when on a road trip?  My own comfortable bed.
  4. What is the furthest you have traveled on a road trip?  When Turbo was almost two we packed up and we drove to the Grand Canyon.  We stopped on the way at Arches and saw Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, and Dinosaur National Monument.  The trip took five days.  We plan on going back to visit when the boys are older.  The whole trip was probably around 1200 miles.  Oh wait, there was the trip to San Antonio--19 hours one way.  That I think qualifies as the longest road trip Nick and I have taken.
  5. Will you "stop for the largest ball of twine, etc." or are you a "hurry and get there" road tripper?  It depends on the type of trip we are taking.  With the boys we are more stop and see the playground type people right now.  Sometimes you just have to let little boys stretch out some.  I like to think we would go see some of those road side attractions given the opportunity.  Of course being geologists we can be depended on to stop to look at really cool road cuts at any moment.
So there you have it, some of our road trip quirks.  We love a good road trip, even if the destination is only the mountains outside of town.  We love going road hunting--finding roads we haven't driven down and seeing where they take us.

15 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh true, I do miss my bed when I travel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I knew you were a geologist. LOL. I like to stop and look at things too... at least, I did when I was a kid. As an adult, I'm too in a hurry. But as the kids get older, I think stopping at cool stuff will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I knew you were a geologist either... Cool! All this talk of road trips is definitely making me want to go on one. Especially a "meaningless" one, like the one you described - just finding a road and seeing where it takes me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I was born in Arizona and I've never been to the Grand Canyon. I think that's like, a mortal sin or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would probably LOVE driving in New Hampshire and the surrounding for the rock formations etc. :)

    Love the q's this week, we adore road trips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. seems like anytime you want to go to another town in Wyoming, it is a bit of a road trip. but it is always a pretty one.

    thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sprite is all about getting there. John wanted to make a pit stop last time we drove to Orlando, Sprite talked him out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good road trip too.
    Gotta have the food and drinks! Especially when traveling with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew! I couldn't imagine traveling with little ones anymore! Lol I just don't have the patience for them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't imagine a five hour road trip with a two year old. You are brave! We barely go anywhere, the furthest we've driven is 90 min to Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband took a geology class in college and for a whole semester I heard all sorts of things about rocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, Kyle was always a wonderful traveler so i was lucky! Your road trips to go camping sound fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the idea of taking books on tape! i bet my kids would love it, i'm totally going to have to try it out on our next trip! traveling with kids is always an adventure lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah home sweet home. Gotta love that we can dive all the way across this crazy state in 9 hours...and still be in it. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! They make my heart go pitter-pat! Go on comment--I'll do my best to go give your blog some love too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails