Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spin Cycle--Let Me Tell You Something

Advice is the topic of the Spin Cycle this week.  Good advice, bad advice, unsolicited advice.  We get it all whether we want it or not.  I will admit to appreciating it at times.  There are other times when I really wish the advice giver would just put a sock in it.
One of my guilty pleasures is reading advice columns--Dear Abby, Dear Margo, Dear Prudence, The Mouthy Housewives.  I check them out weekly or daily depending on how often they post.  I think it makes me feel better.  My life is not all together, but at least it's not as bad as some of the letter writers' lives.
I've gotten advice all my life, some that has stuck with me:
  • Never get so distracted by the music or passengers you neglect your driving. I got this when I first started driving--good advice especially with phones these days.
  • Never put out for the public more than you want them to see--and the internet is public, even Facebook.
  • Let your kids be kids--don't schedule them out of childhood.
  • Take time to enjoy the little things--it goes by so fast.
  • Try new things--anything different is good.
  • Taking a step back and letting someone else do it does not make you a bad person--everyone has limits, know yours.
  • Take a nap when the opportunity presents itself--later you will regret not taking it.
What advice have you gotten that stuck with you? Spin it up and let Gretchen know--she'll link you right up.
Second Blooming

6 comments:

  1. Good advice! Especially the one about scheduling kids. I know way too many people who do this and I feel sorry for those children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great advice. The last two particularly resonate for me. I NEVER nap, and then ALWAYS wish I had. And it's so hard for me to let other people do things. Hmmm...controlling? Yeah.

    I'll link you as soon as I get home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. People def need to remember that the internet is public!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could definitely use the nap you just mentioned. Just broke up the 4th fight between my littlest & my middle & my middle has only been home from school for an hour & 45 minutes. Uggghhhh!!! The teen years are gonna suck BIT TIME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good stuff! I love reading "Ask Amy" every day. She gives good advice, too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! They make my heart go pitter-pat! Go on comment--I'll do my best to go give your blog some love too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails