Monday, January 18, 2010

Meme Monday

It's All About MEme Monday time again with SupahMommy and .Mommybrain. This week the topic is something near and dear to my heart. Reading and books are among my favorite things.


Reading has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My mom read aloud to me when I was little, picture books to start then she started with classics like Little Women and other Louisa May Alcott books, Black Beauty, Robinson Caruso, and Mary Poppins. She then introduced me to Nancy Drew books when I was about nine. She had first editions of the Nancy Drew books and she had some Bobbsey Twin books as well. That got me started, from there I was a regular at the library at school and also the county library.

I spent many happy hours finding books that caught my interest and then taking them home and devouring them. It was a form of escape cause I never really fit in so I avoid the issue by reading. I was known as a book worm in school. I always had a book with me as could usually be found with my nose in it if I had a spare minute.
I haven't changed much since then. I can still get lost in a book. It drives Nick crazy because he can talk to me and I won't hear him at all. He makes sure he has my attention now.

What are you currently reading?
I am trying to read the newest Dan Brown book, The Lost Symbol. It's slow going because of the interruptions from the rest of the family.

When do you find the time to read?
I usually read in the afternoon when Bruiser naps(unless I need the time to sleep as well). I also love to read during long soaking baths. I read aloud to Nick and now Turbo when we go on road trips. I've read about 20 books aloud to Nick (he's not one to read but loves to have me read out loud to him). Turbo has heard the first Harry Potter and half of the second one so far. I like reading out loud and it makes the miles go faster.

Where do you do most of your reading?
In the tub, car or living room.

How do you choose what you read?
I like new books from favorite authors. I have a hard time reading a book just because it is recommended by the critics. A book has to stand up to multiple readings to be a keeper. I have read good books but truly great books can be read again and again. I will spend time wandering the stacks of both new book stores and used book stores to find new selections.

From where do you get most of your books?
I shop Hastings (an entertainment store here, used bookstores and the library annual book sale. I also check the book aisle of Kmart and Walmart regularly. I do get some recommendations from my mom but her tastes are different from mine so we don't tend to overlap alot of book choices.

What do you do with a book after you've finished reading it?
It depends on whether I will read the book again. If it is good enough to read again it goes on my shelves. If it is not good enough for me to read again then I pass it on to my mother and after she is done with it she passes it on to other friends of hers or takes it to the library to donate to the annual book sale.

What are your book (reading) quirks?
I nibble on sunflower seeds while I read to keep myself from tying knots in my hair. I also won't read a book if it doesn't catch my attention in the first couple of pages.

Well there you have it. Some of the things about me and books. I love books and my tastes span from trashy romance to action thriller to non fiction WWII books. I would define my self as an avid reader (when I get the time now). Books have been my friend since I started reading more than picture books at age nine. I am trying to instill that love of books in my boys. This may explain why the books are slowly taking over Turbo's room.

4 comments:

  1. It drives me nuts when the husband talks to me while I'm reading. The kids I can almost forgive, but he's supposed to be the other adult in the house. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love to read but simply can't find the time to do it anymore. I am so behind on all the good novels. Maybe that should have been my new year's resolution. I guess it's never too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man - the bath is the perfect reading spot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read The Lost Symbol as well, it is on my Kindle wish list. :o) Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! They make my heart go pitter-pat! Go on comment--I'll do my best to go give your blog some love too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails