Thursday, October 18, 2012

Spin Cycle--Beautiful

This week's Spin topic is beauty.  What do you find beautiful?  Where do you find beauty?  Got a beauty horror story?  Got a beauty tip?
I'm not one for makeup tips.  Heck, I'm not one for makeup period.  I can never get it to look right on me.  I always feel like the foundation is the wrong color and I turn out either too pale and look dead or too orange and that's never a good look.  I've sort of given up on makeup.  I'd like to figure it out, but the makeup section of the store is intimidating if you really don't know what you're looking for.
So I go for the natural look. This does make getting ready to go in the morning easier.  Also no makeup removal before bed.  Packing for vacations is easier too.  No makeup bag that has to go with me. I also don't have the need to fix my face before going anywhere.  Nick definitely appreciates that.
A lot of my lack of makeup savvy comes from my mother.  She never really wore makeup.  She had friends when she was younger who had worn so much foundation that they couldn't go without makeup and she was not going to let me do that, so she went the other way with me and didn't let me have any foundation at all.  I was 15 before I got any makeup and that was only mascara, blush and eye shadow.
So makeup never really caught on with me.  I'll admit there are times when it would be nice to be able to do my face up to look nice, but mostly it doesn't bother me.  I wouldn't pick the right stuff if I tried.  And getting to a mall with a department store large enough to have a makeup counter is not so easy here.  The closest mall is 45 minute away.  So a trip like that has to be planned for.  There is a Clinique counter at the bookstore on campus, but I don't think I want to do that either.
Do you do makeup?  Does it look good?  How did you figure out what to use?  Is it worth it to go to a makeup counter and have the works done?  Or should I trial and error it at the drug store?  Would you come and go with me?  I need some sort of guidance.  So I don't end up looking like this:
Mimi from The Drew Carey Show.
 It's a look but not a good one.
So what's beauty to you?  spin it up and link with Gretchen.
Second Blooming

6 comments:

  1. You probably already know I do makeup :-) I would definitely recommend NOT going to trial and error at a drugstore. It helps when you have someone who knows what they are doing help you out! I'm always happy to extend that offer! I can do it not in person, but via my web site if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with the first comment...have someone who knows what they're doing help you. It's too spendy to do trial and error.
    My BFF in high school has the longest eyelashes ever so she couldn't wear mascara because she really did look like a hooker. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always had the benefit of working with professional makeup artists pretty regularly through my life. I always ask them a ton of questions and often go out and buy stuff they used on me that I liked. I say, let Nain work her magic on you! But if you're not used to wearing make up, you don't want to go with much. Go light, or you'll feel like a clown. Instead of foundation, you can use a tinted moisturizer with SPF, they're kind of the rage now, because it's a three in one deal. Very easy. I'd say, tinted moisturizer, a coat of mascara and some light lip gloss and you'd be good to go.

    You are linked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, my spin was on rocks cause I look too much like the picture you posted from The Drew Carey Show! So go with the ladies above but when you are ready to go on a Jeep trip, well give me a shout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't wear that much make up either, and no foundation. I love Gretchen's tip! I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do the bare minimum ... bit of powder, mascara and lipstick ... but then not even every day.

    You are right it's much faster without it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! They make my heart go pitter-pat! Go on comment--I'll do my best to go give your blog some love too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails