Thursday, September 26, 2013

Just Kill Me

Sometimes we are faced with things we really really don't want to do.  For me, this is public speaking, like giving a presentation.  I loathe it.  But every time I do it, I get good reviews and feel just a bit better about myself. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger.  But dying sounds so much easier.
This week the spin cycle is all about things that could kill you, but don't and you end up a stronger or better person.  I am an introvert and a creature of habit.  I like to stay firmly in my comfort zone.  Life really doesn't let me stay there though.  I am constantly pushed to do things that I don't want to do for work and with my kids.  Things I would actively avoid given the choice.
  • Public speaking
  • Teacher conferences (they still kind of intimidate me)
  • project plans at work
  • presentations for work
  • contacting people I don't know for work
These are just some examples of things I wouldn't do if I didn't have to.  But some things that have moved me out of my comfort zone have brought me some very nice rewards.  Going back to school after I had Turbo has turned out well.   I was very afraid I wouldn't be able to do the math--calculus was kind of scary--but I did it and did it well.
Working as an exploration geologist was a whole new realm for me, but I did well at that too.  They didn't ask me to present anything, thank goodness.  After that tanked, I was able to beleive in myself enough to talk to the financial coordinator in the geology department and see if she knew of anything that might be available that I could do and it got me the job I have currently.  All things I would not have just spontaneously done.
I do have to give credit to Nick.  He has faith in me and pushes me to do more than I would without him.  Knowing he believes in me makes it a bit easier to suck it up and just do it.  (I push him too, but that's a whole nother story.)
So while I might have wanted to die before doing the uncomfortable things, I have turned out stronger for doing them.  What has made you want to die, but feel stronger after it was over?
Spin it up and join Gretchen and Ginny Marie for other spins and link up!

Second Blooming



8 comments:

  1. It's funny: I have no issues with public speaking but every now and then, when I know I have to call someone I don't know, I get totally unnerved and put it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband thinks that public speaking should be easy for me since I'm a teacher, but talking to a roomful of adults is much harder than speaking in front of adults! Great post! I'm so glad you linked up this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strangely enough, public speaking has never bothered me, even though I often find myself shy around people and afraid to open up. Weird, right?

    I used to avoid going to wakes and funerals at ALL costs. I didn't want to deal with loss or grief, I just wanted to hide from it and pretend it wasn't ever going to happen to me. Then I had to deal with a whole lot of it in the span of two short years - two cousins, my grandma, my dad - and though I certainly didn't enjoy that time, I learned it's a necessary part of life, and I do feel going through those times of hardship and loss have made me stronger person. I guess that's one thing I've learned from it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People always assume that because I'm an actress I like public speaking, but ironically, it isn't true. It freaks me out. I'm fine when I have a script, but if I have to speak as myself, I'm a mess. I have to say, I was surprised when I met you that you are much more outgoing than I expected. You always say how shy you are, but I didn't think you were shy at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having to take a Public Speaking class is one of the reasons I haven't went back and took any college courses. I just can't get the nerve up to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After reading your post and the comments from others, I'm beginning to think I'm the only teacher out there who enjoys public speaking and acting on stage. What intimidates me is talking to someone one-on-one. I'd much rather be in front of a group (be it parents, students, or an audience) than have to walk up to a stranger and have a conversation face-to-face.

    And don't even get me started on phone calls! Those are the worst. I can't even see the reaction my words I having--horror!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yeah, public speaking is a killer, for sure. Funny thing is, I was a teacher and I loved it. Still, I loathe public speaking. Great spin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet you are really good at speaking. Depends on the subject matter for me. 95% I can do ad lib with ease but ask me to get deeply personal and I may get all choked up.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! They make my heart go pitter-pat! Go on comment--I'll do my best to go give your blog some love too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails