Thursday, May 29, 2014

Spin Cycle--Patriot


Due to Memorial Day being Monday, our topic this week is patriotism. I consider myself a partiot, but I'm not wildly vocal about it.  I grew up saying the pledge of allegiance every day in elementary school.  I will stand when the flag goes by in the parade and I understand the sacrifices that have given those of us who choose not to the right to make that decision.
I was pleased to learn that the pledge is said mornings at Turbo's school.  Turbo was even chosen in third grade to go to the office and help lead the pledge over the loud speaker for a week.
The radio station here in town plays a version of the national anthem every day at noon.  It's stirring to listen to it and at times (hormones play a part) I do get a bit teary when I really think about what it means.
And now for some fun facts about The Star Spangled Banner:
  • In 1814, Francis Scott Key wrote the "The Star-Spangled Banner," a poem, set to a well-known British drinking song, "To Anacreon in Heaven."
  • In 1916, Woodrow Wilson ordered that the "Banner" should be played by the military and naval services.
  • On March 3, 1931, the "Banner" was designated the national anthem by an act of Congress.
  • Key's poem had 4 verses, although today only the first stanza is usually sung.
  • The song's first confirmed performance at a sporting event was at the 1918 World Series.
  • During World War II, the tradition of singing the anthem at sporting events spread.
 
So what makes you feel patriotic? Seeing flags flying in the wind?  Hearing the national anthem?  Seeing the soldier coming home videos? I'll admit those get me every time. What does patriotism maen to you?  Spin it up and link up with Gretchen and Ginny Marie, they would love to have you!

Second Blooming

7 comments:

  1. As a member of my town's Canada Day Committee (a group that fundraises to have fireworks & a big celebration on our country's birthday) - I can say I feel very patriotic! The national anthem gives me goosebumps every time, and usually when we do our flag raising ceremony on Canada Day, I get choked up and can't even sing the whole anthem! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember what we were sitting down to watch but the Star spangled banner came on and I wasn't even in the room but just hearing it made me tear up. I was actually surprised I even had that reaction. Whenever we've been to a sporting event and everyone is singing it? That is when I really feel like an American.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize the melody for the Star Spangled Banner was actually a drinking song! That's pretty funny. My daughters still say the Pledge of Allegiance at their school, and we teach it to our preschoolers. I think it's a good thing to keep doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so old I do not remember if we said the pledge every day or not. There were three grades to a classroom for the first 6 years of school. I do remember the 1-3 grades doing something to either win or make money to buy a flag for our room. I, too, tear up and get chills during the national anthem. Thanks for your memory invoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your history lesson! I grew up saying the pledge every morning, and Jude's school does it too. They also sing "My Country Tis of Thee". It's sweet! Yea Turbo, for being the pledge leader!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use to spend a lot of time at Jackson-Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta. Whenever a soldier came off a plane from the middle east in uniform it always made me proud to be an American. The airport would stop and give a standing ovation to the returning solidier. Sadly many members of our military were not greeted by family members or friends. The airport suddenly turned into their welcome squad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use to spend a lot of time at Jackson-Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta. Whenever a soldier came off a plane from the middle east in uniform it always made me proud to be an American. The airport would stop and give a standing ovation to the returning solidier. Sadly many members of our military were not greeted by family members or friends. The airport suddenly turned into their welcome squad.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! They make my heart go pitter-pat! Go on comment--I'll do my best to go give your blog some love too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails