Thursday, December 11, 2014

Spin Cycle--Holiday Recipes

We are pretty big on certain holiday traditions.  One big one for us is having Christmas Breakfast at our house with the grandparents.  Most years this has meant that Nick and I (mostly Nick)spend time in the kitchen making breakfast and not with the grandparents and the boys.  Last year I changed it up a bit and made a delicious breakfast casserole the night before and all we had to do was throw it in the oven and bake it in the morning.  So good!
Here is the recipe I used: (It came from Allrecipes.com)

Hash Brown and Egg Casserole
 
recipe image
Rated: rating
Submitted By: MELISSAKOVACS07
Photo By: amandak23k
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 40 Minutes
Servings: 6
"Classic breakfast favorites come together in this layered hash brown casserole with eggs, cheese, and sausage."
Ingredients:
1 (2 pound) package frozen hash brown
potatoes, thawed
1 pound pork sausage
1 small onion, diced
5 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and ground black pepper to taste
12 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart baking dish. Place the hash brown potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish.
2. Heat a skillet over medium heat and cook and stir the sausage and onion until the sausage is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink; drain. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and pour over the potatoes. Layer with half the Cheddar cheese, the sausage mixture, and the remaining Cheddar cheese. Cover with aluminum foil.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove cover; return casserole to the oven and bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2014 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 12/11/2014

I made a few minor modifications: I added 1/2 teaspoon of ground mustard, 1 extra egg to the egg mixture, and we fried bacon and crumbled it to add with the sausage.  Once the casserole was assembled we covered it and refrigerated it over night.  We pulled the casserole out of the fridge about a half hour before we baked it and the whole thing was lovely.  You can serve it with ketchup or salsa, it's good either way. 
The best thing about this was that not only was it good, but both Nick and I could spend time with the grandparents and the boys instead of cooking like mad fools and barely seeing them. This casserole will be making the rounds again Christmas morning at our house.  It was just so very good.
What are your holiday recipe favorites?





7 comments:

  1. Yum, I love the breakfast casserole we usually have! It was no fun for the cook (usually my mom) to be slaving over frying pans the morning of, trying to make perfect over-easy eggs & bacon or sausage. Plus all the toast needed for 6 or 8 people. Too much work.

    We also always have homemade sticky buns on Christmas morning, they are everyone's favourite. We only have them once a year, and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your modifications! Bacon makes everything taste better! I also love have a breakfast casserole ready to go so that all I have to do is preheat the oven in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering just thinking about it and I agree with Ginny bacon does make everything taste better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally loved that you combined the two here and my husband would totally love this. May have to try for him soon! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE breakfast and this sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a modified English breakfast. I love English breakfast. I might need to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a breakfast casserole. The problem for me is that (as a single woman) I'd have way too many leftovers. I'll have to invite people over for breakfast. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! They make my heart go pitter-pat! Go on comment--I'll do my best to go give your blog some love too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails