Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Hodgepodge--Thought Provoking

1. October 21, 2015 is Back to the Future Day. Did you see the movie? The sequels? In the second film, Doc takes Marty into the future to prevent Marty's future son from making a mistake. They leave 1985 and land on a 'skyway' on October 21st, 2015. So tell us, what were you doing in the fall of 1985?
I have seen the Back to the Future movies multiple times. My kids love them. I have only seen them on video and on TV. 
Now let's see fall of 1985...I was 12 and in 7th grade. I was a nerdy bookworm, the quiet girl in the second hand clothes that was totally not cool. The social jungle that middle school can be was not a good place for me, so I escaped into books. The library was my favorite hangout.

2.  If time travel were possible, would you want to go to the future? The past? 
I'm tossed on this one.  Seeing certain events of the past would be interesting, I do enjoy history, but the temptation to change things would be hard to resist.  As for the future, well, I'm not sure I would want to know what happened to me so much.  Again the temptation to change things would be overwhelming when I came back.  That's if there was a return trip on the mix.

3. We're not flying cars, but some of the technology imagined in the 80's film has indeed come to pass in real life 2015-flat screen TVs on the wall, tablets, fingerprint recognition, video conferencing, online banking, 3-D movies, motion controlled video games, drone cameras, and smart glasses (Google glass).  Do you worry technology is growing at a rate so fast we'll soon be unable to keep up with it's demands? Do you think the Internet does more harm than good? 
People are adaptable.  Technology will keep progressing as long as people have the imagination to ask the question and then go find the answer.
the internet does no more harm or good the TV does.  Look at the questions asked with every technology advance, radio, Movies, TV.  There are always critics that question the benefit and the downsides to each one.  The internet is a bit more pervasive, but still just a tool.

4. Your favorite dish prepared in a slow-cooker? Your favorite fast food? 
I love corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot. 
I love a good crispy chicken sandwich, from any of the fast food places really.  On occasion I like a burger too.

5. No time like the present, down time, face time, pressed for time, in the nick of time, make time, mark time, or just in time...which timely saying most relates to your life right now? 
No time like the present.  With the passing of my mother and looking at all the projects she left behind, going and doing the things I have on my bucket list hold a lot more appeal.  I don't want to look back and say if only...

6. Tell us about a place you went as a child or younger person that's no longer there or is now something else. How does that make you feel?
My high school is now a lovely grassy area.  My hometown built a new high school and demolished the old one. I feel a bit sad.  there was a renovation project on the high school during my freshman year.  Those renovations lasted less than 20 years. And the kicker is the new high school needs repairs and expanding already.

7. Describe your comfort zone.
I have a select group of friends and I like to get together with them regularly. I like being at home.  There is a nice routine we are getting back into and that is comfortable.


8. Insert your own random thought here.
It is a dreary, wet day here.  I'm not sure if it got cold enough for the rain to fall as snow last night.  It might have.  Honestly, I think we will have snow by Halloween.  We usually do. Beginning of November at the latest.  Of course it could snow for Halloween.  One year we got a foot of wet heavy snow in about 3 hours Halloween night.  There were some very wet trick or treaters that year.


3 comments:

  1. dropping by from Joyce's HodgePodge - love the theme of your blog.
    Reading about everyone's favourite slow cooker meal is making me hungry for a slow-cooked meal tonight - better get my hubby on that as I head to school for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My high school was torn down and rebuilt last year, or year before. It was a sad time for me because there was a sign that said the school was built by the WPA. I am a history nut so this was a double whammy! They did keep the cornerstone sign at least. And you are right...it would be REALLY hard not to try and change history! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is sort of a shame to see high schools torn down. I'm never back in mine, but I like passing it when I'm in town and seeing the building brings back memories. I need a new crock pot and all the recipes today are inspiring me to go buy one. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! They make my heart go pitter-pat! Go on comment--I'll do my best to go give your blog some love too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails