Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Happy New Year Hodgepodge

 

1. It's that time of year again...time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words (or phrases) they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, or genera uselessness) in 2018. You can read more about the decision making process and word meaning here, but this year's top vote getters are-
unpack, dish (as in dish out the latest rumor), pre-owned, onboarding/offboarding, nothingburger, let that sink in, let me ask you this, impactful, Cofefe, drill down, fake news, hot water heater (hot water doesn't need to be heated), and gig economy
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?

I hadn't really known that "fake news" was a thing.  I mean I know fake news happens, ~National Enquirer~, but that it was a thing that needed to be dropped from the lexicon is news to me. I can kind of see the "hot water heater" being a bit redundant.  Around our house I hear "for some odd reasone" from Bruiser all the time.  I wish he would drop that phrase from his vocabulary.

2. What's something you need to get rid of in the new year?
I need to get active and lose just a bit of excess weight.  I need to get rid of my "Oh that's good enough" attitude. Be a lot more accepting of new things and ideas. There is going to be a lot of new this year.

3. Where do you feel stuck?
I have been getting out of the rut I have been stuck in and doing better at making dinner, being Mom's Taxi, and household chores--laundry, dishes and cleaning and such.

4. January is National Soup Month. When did you last have a bowl of soup? Was it made from scratch or from a can? Your favorite canned soup? Your favorite soup to make from scratch on a cold winter's day?
We had a Italian sausage and lentil soup last week.  It's a copy cat of a Carrabas Italian Grill soup I had years ago.  It was great and fed not only us but Nick folks too.

5. Tell us one thing you're looking forward to in 2018.
I can't say I'm exactly looking forward to it, but we are moving to a new town when school is done for the boys.  June is moving month for us, although the move started in October when we bought the house in our new town. I am going to miss our friends here and having across town access to them. I don't make friends easily and this move is very intimidating for me. The rest of the family is getting more and more excited about the move.

6. Insert your own random thought here.
The holiday break was good for us.  Turbo dropped time during his meet.  Bruiser got to have game time, time to play outside and snuggle inside.  I got some great present for Christmas and got to cook and enjoy having little to no obligations. Nick got to relax and enjoy time with the boys and me. Now we are back at the routine.  Time will fly by and before we know it June will be here and with it our big move. 2018 will be bringing lots of changes, but over all, I hope the changes will be good for us.

2 comments:

  1. When you get to your new town look into joining a meetup group. I had a hard time meeting friends in the mountain community where I live. I started a bunco meetup and found that there were many gals just like me looking to make some new friendships. I also joined a book club meetup and made some more friends. Now I have a great bunch of gals to go to lunch, or shopping, or to craft classes. Checkout the "Meetup" website now to see what's available in your new town.
    Happy New Year,
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, big move ahead of you. You're right, the time will fly by. I hope you find your niche, and hopefully you will find that it's not so hard to make new friends.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! They make my heart go pitter-pat! Go on comment--I'll do my best to go give your blog some love too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails