Thursday, February 23, 2012

Spin Cycle--Let's Go To The Movies


The Movies are the topic this week for the Spin Cycle.  Just about any way you want to go about the movies.  I like movies, comedies, some dramas, some sci-fi, action/adventure, family movies, I like a bit of just about everything.
One glaring exception is horror movies.  I just can't watch horror.  I can read it, but not watch it.  I think movies should be entertaining.  Since I don't find nightmares entertaining, I don't watch horror movies.  In fact, I once spent two and half hours reading a book in the bathroom so I didn't have to watch a horror movie.  Nick had rented one with some friends of his. (It was a very small apartment and the bathroom was the only room that had a door that closed in the apartment.)
I like old movies, the result of a stepfather who was in his 60s when he married my mother.  He introduced us to some of the really fun oldies--The Thin Man movies, Topper movies, lots of stuff from the 30s and 40s.  Really good movies.  I now have a good appreciation for black and white movies.

The one thing I'm not wildly keen on is actually going to the movie theater.  It's so expensive, you have to have cash, the seats aren't that comfortable (at least at the theater we have here) and I always freeze my feet off no matter what time of year we go.  And since we have had little boys at home that require a babysitter and other coordination, we just usually wait fir pay per view or rental.  In lots of ways seeing movies at home is lots easier--you can pause it for snack and bathroom breaks (or the small child well timed interruption) and watch it more than once so you catch the things you miss the first time through.
What I really like about movies these days is all the extras they put on the DVDs.  I'm a total sucker for the behind the scenes, how the magic was made stuff.  I was never happier than to see the special editions of The Lord of the Rings with discs and discs of extras.  When I found the first one on the Shrek DVD I was hooked.  I do tend to want to choose the special edition of DVDs so I can get the extras.
So this has been a bit of a mish mash of a post.  Movies make life more fun, they pass the time, make trips more interesting and entertain and at times educate us.
Now go see Gretchen and link up your own take on the Movies.

Second Blooming

5 comments:

  1. Augh, thanks for the reminder! I need to find some time and write my Spin today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm determined to expose Jude to the black and whites, but the only stuff he's been interested in so far are the classic comedies - Abbott and Costello, the Marx Brothers. It's amazing that they are still so funny to little boys! The Topper movies are a great idea!

    You are linked!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so ADD...black and white can't hold my attention. I'm pathetic, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just the opposite. I love going to the movies and I can't stand to watch the behind the scenes stuff. Although I do enjoy the bloopers reels!

    But I also don't like horror movies. I wached a horror movie and my then roommate had a viewing party for it when it came out on dvd and I went into a different room furthest from the living room so I didn't have to sit through it again because it gave me nightmares!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hubs and I love movies too which is a big reason we stay home a lot--we always have bad run ins with rude talkers at a crowded movie. So mostly my movie going is with the boys and now that they are 15, 14 and 11 that has dwindled.
    I've never heard of Topper movies!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! They make my heart go pitter-pat! Go on comment--I'll do my best to go give your blog some love too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails